Incoming Transfer Students

Welcome to the Dietrich School of Arts and Sciences! We look forward to working with you over the next few years as you embark on your newest academic journey. After receiving your letter of admission and paying your matriculation deposit, you will be required to complete the Transfer Student Orientation presentation online. Subsequently, you will need to call our office to make arrangements to meet with your academic advisor for the first time, have an opportunity to explore the campus, and enroll in your coursework for the upcoming term. At the University of Pittsburgh, academic advising is required, and we place great emphasis on the advising process and relationship. Find out more about how advising works at Pitt.

  1. Complete the Transfer Student Orientation presentation.
  2. Complete any necessary placement exams.
  3. Call the Advising Center at 412-624-6444 to schedule your advising appointment.

Transfer Credit Evaluations

The University of Pittsburgh generally accepts credits in which the students received a grade of C or better in college-level coursework (not remedial) that corresponds to a course in our curriculum in content and credit value. Pass/Fail courses may be accepted for transfer credit if it can be documented that a P grade corresponds to a grade of C or better.

To receive a University of Pittsburgh degree, students must complete at a minimum their last 30 credits at the University of Pittsburgh. At least half of the credits required for their major and official minor must be earned in the Kenneth P. Dietrich School of Arts and Sciences. This requirement applies to students who transfer from a University of Pittsburgh regional campus as well as those who transfer from another college or university.

  • A maximum of 60 credits will be accepted from community colleges and two-year junior colleges. A maximum of 90 credits will be accepted from four-year institutions. At least 50 percent of the credits required in the major and official minor must be earned in the Dietrich School of Arts and Sciences.

Please contact the Office of Student Records in 140 Thackeray Hall (412-624-6776) with any questions about your transfer credit evaluation. All transfer credits are subject to reevaluation if you transfer from the Dietrich School to another undergraduate school within the University of Pittsburgh.

Next Year's FAFSA Available Now

The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) became available on October 1, 2016 for the 2017-18 academic year. This is the most important form to complete in order to qualify for almost all types of financial aid. Visit the Federal Student Aid Web site to access the online application and find many helpful tips.