Study Lab will continue to offer tutoring, academic coaching and online workshops throughout the summer 2021 term. All services will be available virtually! Learn more. Tutoring begins Wednesday, May 18. You can start scheduling tutoring appointments May 17.
Study with a Guide
In high school, you may have thought of tutoring as something students used when they were struggling. Here, it’s a little different.
Peer tutors are students like you who have mastered a particular subject area and want to share their inside secrets with other students. Maybe you want to bump your B to an A. Maybe you want someone to study with for an upcoming exam. Maybe you just want to talk through one particular assignment with someone who’s done it before. Peer tutors can help. Think of them as your on-call study buddy, here to help you do your best in every class.
Of course, there may be some point during your time at Pitt where you are actually struggling in a class. It’s okay. It happens. (Actually, it happens a lot.) And our peer tutors are right there on standby, ready to jump in and help out.
Appointments are one hour long. Students can schedule up to two appointments per week, per subject. Appointments can be made up to three weeks in advance. To make a one-on-one appointment, schedule online through the Navigate Student App, call 412-648-7920, or chat with us on our website.
Virtual Study Lab Hours:
Remote Tutoring: How to Connect with your Tutor
When you schedule a tutoring appointment, a link to your tutor's "virtual classroom" will be included in your confirmation email from Pathways. You will also receive a reminder email with the link included closer to the start time of your appointment. Please lookout for these emails so you can connect with your tutor at your scheduled time. You do not need to download any software or register to use this service. The online tutoring platform does work best when using the Google Chrome browser. Within the online platform you can share files, screens and whiteboards. Have any documents or files you would like to share ready at the start of your appointment with your tutor. For a demonstration on how the tutoring platform works, you can check out this video.
How to make the most of your online tutoring session
- Make sure you note the day and time of your tutoring appointment. All tutoring appointments scheduled in Pathways are in EST, if you are located in a different time zone please note the difference!
- Be ready early so you don’t waste time with your tutor on set-up or technical issues. The tutoring platform works best on Google Chrome. Make sure you allow your internet browser to access your microphone and camera. If you have technical issues you may find some helpful tips here.
- Focus! Turn off interruptions, log out of other sites/apps that might distract you while working with your tutor.
- Find a quiet location to work with your tutor so you can hear each other clearly.
- Provide as much information to your tutor as possible. You can share files in the online tutoring platform so you can both be looking at the same material. Have those files ready before your session if you would like to reference them with your tutor.
- If something isn’t making sense, directly ask your tutor for clarification or to go through an example. Ask questions!
How Does it Work?
- Check out the complete list of courses for which peer tutoring is available.
- You can schedule a tutoring session online by using the Navigate Student App. You can also schedule by using the chat feature on this site or calling 412-648-7920 during our normal business hours, Monday-Friday from 8:30am-5pm.
- You will receive a link to your tutor's virtual classroom in your appointment confirmation and reminder from Pathways. At the time of the appointment please check-in to your appointment on the Navigate app before joining your tutor in the classroom by clicking the URL included in your appointment confirmation. If you have any problems connecting please contact us at 412-648-7920 or email us.