Welcome! We look forward to working with you as you embark on this journey. Transitioning from high school to college can mean big changes, but the advising faculty is here to make that transition easier for you. Academic advising is critical to your success, and to that end, we place great emphasis on the advising process.
“Every advisor is a resource for new students, answering any questions they confidently know the answers to, and referring students to other professionals who can answer the questions advisors may not be as sure on. I encourage every student to cultivate an open and honest relationship with their advisor.”
—Cassie Berkey (Neuroscience)
Here, you’ll find the steps you will need to follow prior to coming to campus.
First-Year Student Checklist: Admitted for Fall Terms
- Sign up for a PittStart session immediately.
- Determine if you have to take any placement exams.
- Complete online placement exams beginning May 1, 2017.
- Complete the online orientation after you receive the welcome letter from the Director of Advising.
- Complete the online orientation in CourseWeb (Blackboard), which enables you to schedule your fall courses.
We have Enrollment Resources for you if you need more help!
First-Year Student Checklist: Admitted for Spring Terms
- Determine and complete any placement exams. Please complete and submit before you call to schedule an advising appointment. (See step 3 below)
- Complete and submit the online orientation at least three days prior to the advising appointment that you are attending.
- Call the Advising Center at 412-624-6444 to schedule an individual advising appointment.
While our primary objective is to help you reach your academic goals, we also recognize college is exciting, challenging, and fun, and that it requires a lot of work. All students struggle or question themselves at some point along the way. You won’t be alone—your advisor will always be here to help guide you.