Apply for Graduation

Here's everything you need to know about qualifying and applying for graduation.


Please note that our office is not able to answer questions regarding the University of Pittsburgh commencement ceremony, as the ceremony is planned by the Office of Special Events.

Please see for further information, or they can be contacted at, 412-624-7100.

Graduation Requirements

All Dietrich School undergraduates must complete a minimum of 120 credits of coursework and receive a minimum cumulative 2.0 GPA and a minimum 2.0 GPA in your major(s), minor(s), and certificate(s) to graduate. You must complete a minimum of 150 credits if you are receiving a double degree from the Dietrich School of Arts and Sciences or pursuing a degree in two different undergraduate schools at Pitt. Please check with the other undergraduate school for any additional requirements they may have for that degree.

Please check with your advisor each semester to verify that you are on track to fulfill all Dietrich School and major requirements.

Applying for Graduation

Students who wish to earn a Dietrich School degree or certificate must complete a graduation application online through the Office of Student Records. Applications are available on this page (desktop users, look to the right of the page; mobile users, scroll to the bottom). When applying for graduation, please heed the following guidelines.

  • You must apply for graduation in the term preceding the one in which you expect to graduate. For example, if you plan to graduate in April, you must apply for graduation in early November. Check the Dietrich School calendar for graduation deadlines. You should also discuss your graduation plans with your advisor.
  • Your application will be reviewed by Student Records and you will be contacted by your Pitt e-mail account about any concerns or questions pertaining to your application. In order to graduate, any deficiency discovered during the review process should be corrected by the student before the end of the add/drop period in the student’s final term.  
  • You should apply for graduation even if you do not have your final term course schedule finalized. You will be able to update your graduation application as you make changes to your schedule.
  • If you are earning a double degree, you must apply for graduation in each degree’s undergraduate school. If you are receiving a certificate from another school or unit (for example, a Western European Studies certificate from the University Center for International Studies) you must also apply for graduation in that school or unit. You also must abide by other schools’ and units’ respective graduation application procedures and deadlines.
  • If you are studying abroad during your final term, please be aware that if your transcript from the school you attend abroad is not received by our deadline, you may not be able to graduate that term.
  • If for some reason you are unable to graduate in the term for which you applied, you must reapply to graduate in a future term. Students are not automatically rolled over onto future graduation rosters. Late fees may apply.    
  • Please contact the Office of Student Records if you have questions regarding the receipt of University honors. Please contact your advisor if you have questions regarding the receipt of departmental honors.