The Academic Advising Center for the Dietrich School of Arts and Sciences and the College of General Studies utilizes a hybrid approach to advising services, combining in-person availability with virtual availability via Zoom, phone, and email. Students who have questions should contact their assigned advisor directly; any other inquiries may be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org or (412) 624-6444.
Students should utilize Navigate Student to schedule an in-person or virtual appointment with their academic advisor.
How Personalized Advising Works
The Dietrich School of Arts and Sciences emphasizes individualized academic advising to help you design your personal educational experience. Advisors are here to explore with you your academic aims and career goals. You will be familiarized with University policies and procedures, and connected with the many resources and opportunities the University has to offer.
Understanding Academic Advising
As a Dietrich School student, you are assigned an academic advisor. During appointments, your advisor will help you to:
- Explore and clarify your academic interests and career goals.
- Match your interests and goals with an appropriate academic focus.
- Develop a greater sense of independence and problem solving.
- Connect with the many resources and opportunities that the University offers.
- Declare a Dietrich School major or apply for admission to a program in another University of Pittsburgh school.
Advisors know the University. They have connections in every school and every department. Advisors are able to connect you with resources beyond offering great advice about which section of English or Natural Science best fits into your schedule.
Meeting With Your Advisor
At least once each semester, you must meet with your academic advisor to discuss your academic goals and your progress toward them. You are strongly encouraged to meet with your advisor more often, whether it be in person, or via e-mail or phone.
By the third week of the semester, you will receive an e-mail from your advisor instructing you to schedule an advising appointment.
- Go online to schedule your appointment. Schedule your advising appointment prior to your enrollment appointment date.
- During the appointment, you and your advisor will create a list of suggested courses for the upcoming semester.
- After this appointment, your advisor will remove the registration hold that is placed by the Office of the University Registrar.
- Register for courses on your assigned enrollment appointment date.
After you officially declare a Dietrich School major or are admitted into a professional school, you will be advised through that program.
Contact your advisor, especially if questions arise or problems occur. Advisors are here to help. Advisors understand college can be exciting and also a struggle. It’s part of their job to help you navigate college, and our advisors enjoy helping students find their personal paths.
- Find out more about advising for first-year students.
- Find out more about advising for transfer students.
Plot Your Path
The Dietrich School emphasizes individualized, one-on-one academic advising. Advisors help you to explore academic and career goals, become familiar with University policies and procedures, and connect you with the many resources and opportunities the University has to offer. We look forward to getting to know you and working with you in your initial years here at Pitt.