How Does it Work?
- Check out the complete list of courses for which peer tutoring is available.
- You can schedule a tutoring session online by using the Navigate Student App. You can also schedule by using the chat feature on this site or calling 412-648-7920 during our normal business hours, Monday-Friday from 8:30am-5pm
- If you scheduled an in-person tutoring appointment, you will just show up to Study Lab at the time of your appointment and check-in at the front desk. If you scheduled a virtual tutoring appointment, you will receive a link to your tutor's virtual classroom in your appointment confirmation and reminder from Pathways. At the time of the appointment please check-in to your appointment on the Navigate app before joining your tutor in the classroom by clicking the URL included in your appointment confirmation. If you have any problems connecting please contact us at 412-648-7920 or email us.
Remote Tutoring: How to Connect with your Tutor
How to make the most of your online tutoring session
- Make sure you note the day and time of your tutoring appointment. All tutoring appointments scheduled in Pathways are in EST, if you are located in a different time zone please note the difference!
- Be ready early so you don’t waste time with your tutor on set-up or technical issues. The tutoring platform works best on Google Chrome. Make sure you allow your internet browser to access your microphone and camera. If you have technical issues you may find some helpful tips here.
- Focus! Turn off interruptions, log out of other sites/apps that might distract you while working with your tutor.
- Find a quiet location to work with your tutor so you can hear each other clearly.
- Provide as much information to your tutor as possible. You can share files in the online tutoring platform so you can both be looking at the same material. Have those files ready before your session if you would like to reference them with your tutor.
- If something isn’t making sense, directly ask your tutor for clarification or to go through an example. Ask questions!
Our tutors are trained professionals who are here to assist you. Being prepared and following the guidelines below will enable you to get the best results from your tutoring sessions.
Bring your materials with you. This includes your textbook, notes, syllabus, and anything else you might want to reference.
- Create a list of goals for each tutoring session.
- Review your notes prior to your appointment.
- Prepare questions or topics to review.
- Prioritize your questions.
- Attempt to tackle your challenges on your own and bring in what you accomplished. Try to answer your own questions, or attempt to finish a difficult homework assignment.
- Bring something from your professor with you such as a test, quiz, homework assignment, etc.
- Be realistic about the amount of material you would like to go over in one hour. Remember, that time is limited.
- Be on time for your appointment.
- Explore your own learning strategies prior to your appointment.
- Consider your learning style and share this information with your tutor.
- Go to class! Know what you are learning.
- Be positive!
- Feel free to discuss study skills.
- Actively take notes during your tutoring session.
- Use tutoring as an additional resource rather than a replacement resource.
- Take advantage of your other resources, too. Get to know your professors and teaching assistants!
- Remember that tutors cannot answer professor-specific questions.
- Don't be afraid to say you’re confused or if a strategy is not working!
- Don't come in right before the exam only!
- Don't hesitate to come back multiple times.
- Don't quit studying just because you attend a tutoring session.
- Don't expect your tutors to know everything.
Most importantly: Don’t be afraid to ask for help! Take full advantage of all of the outstanding resources at your disposal in your efforts to excel academically.