Co-Lab offers a collaborative learning environment to support peer-to-peer success.
Co-Lab is focused on improving academic achievement for STEM students in CHEM 0110, CHEM 0960 and CHEM 0120. Through weekly study sessions led by an Undergraduate Learning Guide, students work together to master course content, apply new study strategies to their learning process, and form a supportive group of peers to help you work through rigorous academics.
When you sign up to participate in Co-Lab, you are making a commitment not only to your own success, but the success of your peers. You will be expected to attend every week and actively participate in the study session. It is helpful to make sure you are up to date on course content and putting in the work outside of your weekly sessions to make the most effective use of your time. Weekly sessions will be a time for you to interact with course material in creative ways that help you to develop independent learning skills in a collaborative environment. Activities in Co-Lab sessions will enhance your deeper learning of course content.
By joining a Co-Lab group, you will be investing in your success not just in this course, but in future STEM courses. You will be learning the most effective and efficient strategies for approaching new material and best of all, you’ll be doing it with a community of like-minded peers who will act as an important part of your network for success.
Join a Collaborative Learning Group
Emails with links to register for Co-Lab in fall 2023 will go out in the second week of the term. Look for an email soon regarding this unique opportunity to build a strong foundation for your STEM career at Pitt! If you have any questions about your registration or group placement, please feel free to contact Quin Letavic (firstname.lastname@example.org).
We have completed our hiring for fall 2023. If you are still interested in this position please look for the spring 2024 application.
We are looking for highly qualified candidates to help us grow this new program to support student success in the general chemistry sequence. As a Learning Guide you would work closely with a small group of students taking CHEM 0110, 0120 or 0960 and meet weekly to facilitate small group activities that promote collaborative learning between students and the development of critical thinking and problem solving skills. Expectations are for Learning Guides to work a total of 4 hours per week: one hour for a required weekly meeting, one hour for running the actual study session and 2 hours for planning, documentation and session follow-up.
Benefits of the position include:
- Opportunity to be part of the expansion of this new initiative in supporting the academic success of your peers
- Training and ongoing professional development opportunities that can translate to your own professional and academic success
- Be an integral part of the support team for each Co-Lab student
- Become a leader in Pitt’s STEM learning community
- Ability to work closely with our Chemistry faculty liaison and network with staff across campus
- Earn $13/hr – training and weekly meetings included in pay
To apply, please complete the following:
- Apply to the position online - please remember to include your resume and a short cover letter stating why you are interested in the position
- Submit a recommendation from the professor you had for either CHEM 0110, 0120 or 0960. If that is not possible, another recommender who can speak to your ability to work with general chemistry concepts is acceptable though not preferred.